Facing a complete reform of a home is not just a matter of courage.
To put our ideas in order, to make a good planning and to make the right choice for the professionals who carry out the project, are some of the keys that will help you to succeed in the transformation of your house.
Today we have many tools that can facilitate the work of doing a work at home: from requesting various online quotes, finding references of the collaborators we are going to select, finding ideas for the best distribution of spaces, choice and properties of materials, etc., all this and much more, at the click of a button. Why not make the most of it?
Undertaking a total reform at home is not something that we are accustomed to, but with these tips, we give you some clues on what steps to take:
- Consider what your needs are and the rest of the inhabitants of the house and find, together with the chosen architect or decorator, the best solution to cover them. Try to create flexible spaces that can be modified as your needs change.
- At the time of requesting a budget we should be clear about the finishes we want in terms of flooring, faucets, paints, plaster moldings, light points, aluminum windows, carpentry elements, etc.
- The price of a reform can reach a high budget, so it is worth asking for at least 3 budgets. It invests time in comparing the breakdown with each other to avoid surprises at the end.
- When you choose the professional who will carry out the reform take into account, in addition to the economic budget, the personal affinity you have had in a personal capacity. To undertake a work is usually accompanied by moments of tension that will be minimized if the degree of understanding between both is high. Look carefully at his website and ask him to show you 2-3 recent papers.
- Signing a work contract is highly recommended to avoid misunderstandings and surprises. It can include details such as the breakdown of the budget and stipulate a maximum deviation figure for contingencies, the details of the qualities in the materials to be used, the date commitment as well as penalties for breach of any of the elements included in the document.
- Find out about the necessary works permits, most are very simple and not very expensive. In the City Hall of your city you will be told the procedures or, if you have hired an architect or decorator, you can do it in your name.
- Just as you want to have home insurance to cover your contingencies at home, make sure that the company has contracted liability insurance that responds to possible mishaps during the works.
- Establish a schedule that reflects the execution plan to follow up on the order in which things will be done and how much time will be spent on each part. We recommend including a penalty per day of delay in the completion of the work, as well as the date on which the deficiencies detected should be corrected.
- Take advantage of the renovation to get your house to consume less energy: install multiple flushing toilets, taps with aerators, demotic energy saving systems, etc.
- These factors, among others, will be taken into account when making the energy certificate of the property.
- Do not forget the environmental impact and be sure to use healthy materials, free of volatile organic compounds and eco-label.
- And be very patient. You will have unforeseen difficulties and difficulties that you will have to deal with on the fly.